Who Is Jesus? Part Ten Blog/Lesson Seventeen
The names and phrases of Jesus give a broad view of who Jesus is.
In our previous studies, we have found that Jesus was a three part person: 100% Deity in 1) Spirit, with a human 2) soul (mind, will and emotions), housed in a human 3) body. At times Jesus spoke as the Son of God from His Deity and part of the time He spoke as the Son of man from His humanity. Throughout these verses of Scripture, we can see Jesus inter-changed in all three ways that God Deity works; the Father Deity in Heaven, the Son Deity in Jesus and Deity the Holy Spirit; (after the Day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit Deity is in the Earth living in us after we receive Salvation.) These are just a few of the Bibical names describing Jesus:
1) Lamb of God: (John 1:29) The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
2) The Resurrection and the Life: (John 11:25) Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
3) Shepherd and Bishop of souls (1 Peter 2:25) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
4) Judge of the prince of this World (John 12: 31-32) Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
5) Lord of Lords (Timothy 6:15) Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
6) Rock (1Cor 10:4) And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
7) Man of Sorrows (Isaiah 53:3) He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
8) Master (Matthew 8:19) And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
9) Head of the Church (Ephesians 5:23) For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
10) Faithful and True Witness (Revelation 3:14) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
11) High Priest (Hebrews 6: 20) Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
12) The Door (John 10: 9) I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
13) Living Water (John 4:10)Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
14) Bread of Life (John 6:35) And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
15) Rose of Sharon (Song of Solomon 2:1) I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.
16) Messiah (Daniel (9:25) Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
17) Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End (Revelation 22:13) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
18) True Vine (John 15:1) I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
19) Teacher (John 3:2) The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
20) Holy One (Mark 1:24) Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.
21) I Am (John 8:58) Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
22) Mediator (1 Timothy 2:5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
23) The Beloved (Ephesians 1:6) To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
24) Son of God (Matthew 27:54) Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.
25) Good Shepherd (John 10:11) I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
26) Branch (Isaiah 11:1) And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
27) Light of The World (John 8:12) Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
28) Carpenter (Mark 6:3) Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
29) Savior (John 4: 42) And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.
30) The Almighty: (Revelation 1:8) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
31) Image of the Invisible God: (Colossians 1:15) Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
32) The Word: (John 1:1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
33) Bridegroom: (Matthew 9:15) And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.
34) Chief Cornerstone: (Ephesians 2:20-21) And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
35) Redeemer: (Job 19:25, Job prophesied of Jesus) For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: Redemption: (Romans 3:24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
36) Author and finisher of our faith: (Hebrews 12:2) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
37) Everlasting Father: (Isaiah 9:6, prophesy of Jesus) For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
38) Shiloh: (Genesis 49:10) The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.
39) King of Kings: (1 Timothy 6:14-15) That thou keep this commandment without spot unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
40) Lion of the Tribe of Judah: (Revelation 5:5) And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
41) Prince of Peace: (Isaiah 9:6-7) For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
42) Anchor: (Hebrews 6:19) Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
43) High Priest: ( Hebrews 6:20) Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
44) Only Begotten Son: (John 3:16-17) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
45) Servant: (Philippians 2:6-11) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
46) Prophet: (Matthew 21:10-11) And when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, Who is this? And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.
47) Wonderful Counselor: (Isaiah 9:6) Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
48) Immanuel: (Matthew 1:23) Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
49) Son of man: (Matthew 20:28) Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
50) Day Spring: (Luke 1:77-78) To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,
51) The Amen: (Revelation 3:14) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
52) King of the Jews: (Mark 15:26) And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
53) Bright and Morning Star: (Revelation 22:16) I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
54) The Way, The Truth and the Life (John 14:6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Praise the Wonderful Lamb of God our Savior, Lord and soon Coming King!!!